Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Fit For The Kingdom

I thought I'd share something good that has come from Mormon Cinema. Personally, I find myself disappointed with the majority of the films that are being created under this recently created umbrella we call Mormon Cinema, but from time to time there is a little glimmer of hope in this "genre" or category, or whatever you'd like to call it.

A few years ago, 2005 I believe, a documentary film entitled New York Doll was released. It follows the life of a remarkably humble man with an insane past as a famous rock star in the band The New York Dolls. He happens to be Mormon now and has a very strong testimony. The film captivated me.

Now, New York Doll is a remarkable film and I would recommend it to anyone, but I'm actually writing this blog about something else. There is an on going initiative at BYU called Fit For The Kingdom. It's a series of short documentaries about normal people who happen to be Mormon. Some are hilarious, some are very sad, but they're all heart warming and edifying. Here's the link:

http://fitforthekingdom.byu.edu/

At that website you can watch all of the films that have been completed so far. A few of my favorites are

Greg
Whitney and Lynette
Angie
Scriptures
&
Leroy

Anyway, I thought I'd share that with you all. Lot's of love.

No comments: